Google introduced Adsense Matched Content widget through the existing Adsense platform, which is very similar to recommended articles from Outbrain or Taboola. Adsense Matched Content is a free recommendation tool, and will let you quickly add related post from your domain. Unlike regular Adsense units, matched content ads are promoting your site’s content to site visitors. When you activate Adsense matched content, Google will scan your website and make content recommendation to visitors with the purpose of increasing engagement, page views and the time users spend on your website.
Adsense Matched Content feature is available for the sites, which have sufficient traffic and unique page views. Here is the official statement :
The Matched content feature is not available to all publishers. To be eligible, you must have a site that meets our minimum requirements for traffic volume and number of unique pages. We’ve put these requirements in place to ensure that Matched content provides a great experience for you and your site visitors. Once your site is approved, you’ll have access to the Matched content feature in your AdSense account. “Source”
You can check if the feature is available for your website, head to “Settings > Site Management” of your Adsense account. If one of your website is eligible it will show as “Ready” in the Matched content column.
How to Create Matched Content Ads?
- Login to your Adsense account
- Go to My ads > New ad unit and click the Matched content tab ‘select’.
- Type the Ad unit name and choose the Ad options, style, size.
- Now click on “Save and Get Code” and paste the code in your website.
Here is how the recommended article would appear :
Adsense Recommendation Tool : Important Things To Know
- Adsense Matched Content ads don’t count as normal Adsense units so you can add them in addition to limit of 3 ad units, 3 link unit and 2 search bar per web page.
- Google does not specify how many matched content units you can use on your website, but I recommend you use one unit at the bottom of the article and a big 300×600 unit on the sidebar.
- Matched content ads not increase your Adsense revenue directly but boost user engagement and help user discover new content from your website. More engagement means more page views and this indirectly helps in getting more ad clicks and more revenue.
- Ensure to place the matched content ads only on the eligible site, placing it on the other site may not display the recommendations.
- The widget is responsive and works on desktop, mobile and tablet.
- Make sure you have an image with every blog post.
If you’ve any question related to Matched Content Ads, feel free to ask in the comment section.